Business and Professional Women of Colorado (BPW Colorado)
ADVOCACY PLATFORM 2016-2018
BPW Colorado will employ several education, advocacy, monitoring, and tracking strategies to meet the following priorities:
- The Alice Paul Equal Rights Amendment shall stand first and foremost above all other items of the Advocacy Platform until equal rights have been guaranteed in the United States Constitution.
Economic Equity and Justice
- Access to pay equity and retirement equity
- Access to education, training and promotional opportunities
- Access to equal opportunities in the workplace and corporate boards
- Access to women business enterprise procurement process
- Access to quality, affordable dependent care (child, elderly or disabled)
- Access to funding and capital for entrepreneurial activity
Health Equity and Justice
- Access to affordable care
- Reproductive choice
- Paid sick leave
- Family and medical leave
- Equal research funding for female health issues
- Health education funding for female health issues
- Health education funding for women and girls
- Prevention of pregnancy discrimination in the workplace (reasonable accommodations for pregnancy related conditions)
- Ensure workplace safety
Human Rights– recognition that women’s rights are human rights
- Ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA)
- Passage of the Commission on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
- Eradicate Domestic Violence and the Electronic and Physical stalking, sexual harassment and discrimination
- Oppose human trafficking and slavery
- Equal education opportunity
- Support veterans safety and equal treatment
In addition to the national Advocacy Platform, BPW Colorado priorities were added at the 2017 state legislative conference:
- BPW Colorado supports adequate funding of public education, preschool through postsecondary.
Environment and Sustainability
- BPW Colorado supports policies and practices that promote zero waste, sustainable energy, responsible management of natural resources, environmental education, and the right to safe and clean air and water.
The BPW Colorado Legislative Committee is authorized to take positions on bills and advocate on the basis of those positions, utilizing the Advocacy Platform to determine our positions.